Director of External Relations
AN OPPORTUNITY TO JOIN OUR TEAM AT
THE SUNDAY TIMES SIXTH FORM COLLEGE OF THE YEAR 2015/16
Director of External Relations & Widening Participation
Required for August or September 2017
Full time or Part time, Permanent
The London Academy of Excellence (LAE) is seeking to appoint a Head of External Relations and Widening Participation. This is a key role within LAE and the successful applicant will report directly to the Head Master and be a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
In 2016 LAE secured outstanding A level results. 86% of A level grades were A*, A or B and half of all grades were A* or A. The school is heavily oversubscribed with more than 2500 applications each year. This year, a record-breaking 20 sixth formers have secured offers from Oxford and Cambridge universities.
LAE is located in the heart of Stratford, close to the Olympic Park and just two minutes from Stratford station (now zone 2/3), with excellent links to all parts of London.
LAE has social mobility at the heart of its purpose. Successful applicants must be prepared to reach into areas so far unexplored to find students who will benefit from the education LAE offers. We are eager to reach out to all and any disadvantaged sixth formers across East London and ensure that they have the opportunity to study academic A levels and progress on to a top university.
The successes of the school, and stellar results, over the last five years have seen demand for places at LAE rise significantly. It is critical now that our recruitment procedures are targeted at those most in need. This will involve:
Developing a clear and impactful strategy for widening participation.
This may involve:
- Identifying groups who are in the most need
- Finding strategies to support these groups well before they take their GCSEs, to ensure that they have the best chance of securing the LAE entry requirement
- Liaising with teaching staff over their role in widening participation
- Managing the widening participation budget
The successful applicant will also oversee all of LAE’s contact with feeder schools and play a key role in the marketing, public relations and admissions process (as detailed further in the job description).
A second function of the External Relations brief is supporting the Head Master in LAE’s fundraising strategy.
What LAE can offer you:
- the opportunity to engage with many of the most able and inquisitive young people in east London;
- regular high-quality continuous professional development and support;
- a modern and positive learning environment minutes from the Olympic Park and Stratford Station;
- collaborative working with our partner schools such as Brighton College, Highgate School, Caterham and Eton College;
How to apply?
Please submit a covering letter of no more than one side of A4 together with a CV and the LAE application form to: email@example.com by 09.00 on Monday, 5th June 2017.
For more information, please contact the Head Master on 020 3301 1480 or email: Head.Master@excellencelondon.ac.uk.
The London Academy of Excellence is committed to the safeguarding and welfare of children and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to this post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.